Listen Live
HomeNewsRainbow School Board recognizes community and staff

Rainbow School Board recognizes community and staff

An Espanola grocery store has won the Rainbow District School Board’s Community Partnership Award for 2024.

Tanner’s Your Independent Grocers was presented with the award for owner, Tanner Lafrenier’s contributions to Espanola High School enhancing the well-being of students, as well as supporting teams and clubs, fundraisers, and events at the institution.

Manitoulin Island’s Becky Stewart of Assiginack Public School and Mike Zegil of Manitoulin Secondary School, both teachers, were also presented awards for their contributions to education.

The Rainbow District School Board honoured its employees and community partners with the 2024 Awards earlier this month.

- Advertisement -

“The Board Awards represent a rich tradition of honouring excellence in Rainbow Schools,” said Board Chair David Farrow. “We are proud of our award recipients for their individual and collective contributions to Rainbow Schools in Sudbury, Espanola, and Manitoulin Island. They represent the values that we cherish, model, and teach.”

“Award recipients are champions for children and youth,” said Director of Education Bruce Bourget. “Together, they reflect the experience, energy and enthusiasm that make Rainbow Schools great places for teaching and learning. They give of themselves to provide a strong circle of care and, in the process, open doors, enabling students to achieve their full potential.”

𝐁𝐞𝐜𝐤𝐲 𝐒𝐭𝐞𝐰𝐚𝐫𝐭 – 𝐓𝐞𝐚𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐫 – 𝐀𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐠𝐢𝐧𝐚𝐜𝐤 𝐏𝐮𝐛𝐥𝐢𝐜 𝐒𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐨𝐥

Becky Stewart has been a dedicated coach for over 20 years, devoting countless hours to athletics before, during and after school. Each school year, Becky shifts back and forth to lead various teams including cross-country running, basketball, volleyball, and hockey. In the process, she fosters a love of sports for athletes of all ages across Manitoulin Island.

Becky led the first Island Elementary School Hockey Tournament, attracting teams and families from Espanola to Manitoulin. Working with the Township of Assiginack, she also successfully advocated for Assiginack Public School to host the Island-Wide Track and Field Meet. Students benefit from her positive attitude, great sense of humour, kindness, and competitive nature. Proud to represent her school on various sports committees, Becky Stewart opens doors for students, giving them opportunities to get involved and have fun. Congratulations!

𝐌𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐙𝐞𝐠𝐢𝐥 – 𝐓𝐞𝐚𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐫 – 𝐌𝐚𝐧𝐢𝐭𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐢𝐧 𝐒𝐞𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐝𝐚𝐫𝐲 𝐒𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐨𝐥

An exemplary educator, Mike Zegil engages students in innovative learning opportunities, including bringing solar LED lighting to Indigenous communities in Costa Rica. Patient, enthusiastic and organized, he directs musicals, supports Student Council, contributes to sports, promotes mindfulness, and serves as master of ceremonies at school events. He also coached basketball and rugby. More recently, he helped the Manitoulin Metal Robotics Team garner success at the World Championships. Highly respected, he is the go-to for guidance and direction.

Mike also gives back to his community as a volunteer for minor hockey and as a volunteer firefighter. Six school-based Relay for Life events that he co-led raised over $200,000 for cancer. A school health and safety representative, he contributes to the well-being of all as a member of the Board’s Joint Health and Safety Committee.

Becky Stewart and Mike Zegil

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading