Listen Live
HomeNewsNew joint school approved for Blind River

New joint school approved for Blind River

A new $50.5-million school will be built in Blind River with the Ontario government giving the Algoma District School Board and Conseil scolaire du Grand Nord approval to award the tender for the project.

Last Friday, the two school board representatives, staff and some students held a groundbreaking ceremony to mark the start of construction.

The two schools will house up to 381 junior Kindergarten to Grade 12 spaces in the English Public section, 72 French-language elementary spaces and 64 childcare spaces.

The new school will be located at 158 Youngfox Road in Blind River with construction expected to take one to two years with contingency plans in place.

- Advertisement -

ADSB Director of Education, Lucia Reece, said, “We are most grateful for the Ministry’s support of this joint project, which we feel is a unique opportunity for both ADSB and CS Grand Nord, and for the community of Blind River. Students will have a modern facility with innovative learning spaces, and they will see three languages and cultures – English, French and Ojibway – working in harmony to support student achievement and well-being. We are excited about the future and the potential for unique programming and cultural opportunities, so let the building begin.”

“The Conseil scolaire du Grand Nord is very pleased to be working with the Algoma District School Board,” says Sébastien Fontaine, Director of Education. “The construction of this facility will enable us to offer a range of quality services and programs to our students. This initiative meets the expectations of parents and the needs of the entire Blind River community. CS Grand Nord would like to thank the Ontario government for facilitating this initiative, which will enable both school boards to offer quality education in a modern and innovative environment.”

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading