Listen Live
HomeUncategorizedMany local boards have chosen themes and will host various activities starting...

Many local boards have chosen themes and will host various activities starting today

Conseil scolaire catholique Nouvelon schools will celebrate Catholic Education Week under the theme “We Are Many, We Are One” says education director Paul Henry adding this week makes it possible for everyone to experience the bond between staff, students and the community, and to acknowledge French-language Catholic heritage.

Director of Education for the Rainbow Board, Bruce Bourget, says their theme, Education for a Brighter Future! says it all, adding education builds character, instills confidence, provides opportunities and opens doors.

Parents and school supporters are encouraged to visit their school’s websites for an overview of the various activities that will be held throughout the week.

A.B. Ellis Public School
Throughout Education Week, A.B. Ellis Public School will celebrate with academic and cultural learning. In partnership with Espanola High School, students will showcase their music talents in support of the Joan Mantle Music Trust on Monday, May 1st. The concert will take place in the Espanola High School gym at 11:30 am. Donations in support of the Trust are welcome. Students starting school this fall are invited to Kindergarten Orientation on Tuesday, May 2nd, 2023 from 5:30 pm to 6:30 pm. On Thursday, May 4th, students will take part in a virtual presentation at 9:30 am with Robin Wall Kimmerer, an Anishinaabe Kwe Indigenous Woman from the Citizen Potawatomi Nation. A respected author, she will share her Indigenous perspective about the importance of the Honourable Harvest to support environmental responsibility and demonstrate gratitude for our planet – Mother Earth Shkagamikwe. The week will conclude with a cultural celebration with the first ever A.B. Ellis Public School Pow Wow in the school gym. The theme “Better Together” will unite community members and provide the Student Cultural Group with opportunities to share their culture.

- Advertisement -

1. Geiger Public School
    S. Geiger Public School will host its annual Spring Variety and Silent Auction on Wednesday, May 3rd and Thursday, May 4th. This year’s special performance is “Spring Into Space” which will include contributions from all students. On Friday, May 5th, students will attend the celebration at the Biidaaban Kinoomagegamik School’s Educational Pow Wow.

Assiginack Public School
Children starting school this fall and their parents/guardians are welcome to Kindergarten Orientation at Assiginack Public School on Tuesday, May 2nd from 5:30 pm to 6:30 pm. Students will tune in to a livestream presentation with Robin Wall Kimmerer on Thursday, May 4th at 9:30 am to create awareness about environmental responsibility and Indigenous ways of knowing. Families are invited to Jump Rope for Heart on Friday, May 5th from 2 pm to 3 pm. The annual campaign encourages physical fitness, heart health and mental wellness. Staff and students will also mark Canadian Mental Health Week from May 1st to 7th with mental health literacy. Tip sheets will be distributed to parents/guardians.

Charles C. McLean Public School
Several classes from Charles C. McLean Public School will invite parents/guardians to their classrooms as guest readers during Education Week. The school will host an introduction to Kindergarten on Thursday, May 4th from 5:30 pm to 6:30 pm for children starting school this fall and their families. Two classes will kick start “Swim to Survive” on Friday, May 5th. Grade 8 students and staff will host a Spring Family Dance from 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm.

Central Manitoulin Public School
Students at Central Manitoulin Public School will kick off Education Week with Music Monday on May 1st with traditional Indigenous dance workshops. On Tuesday, May 2nd, students will enjoy a Teddy Bear Picnic. On Wednesday, May 3rd, students will plant seeds for the community garden and will paint kindness rocks to line the paths of the Wellness Orchard. Children starting school this fall and their parents/guardians are welcome to Kindergarten Orientation on Thursday, May 4th from 5:30 pm to 6:30 pm. Families are invited to attend a Book Fair and see student artwork displayed in the halls. On Friday, May 5th, students will take part in electives, learning more about the strengths and interests of staff.

Little Current Public School
Grade 4 students from Little Current Public School will kick off Education Week with a visit to the Espanola Pool for “Swim to Survive”. Children starting school this fall and their families are welcome to Kindergarten Orientation on Wednesday, May 3rd from 5:30 pm to 6:30 pm. Some students will make something extra-special for their peers during the breakfast program on Thursday, May 4th. Students will partake in immersive hands-on workshops for Abilities Day on Friday, May 5th.

Smile Cookie campaign underway

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading