Listen Live
HomeNewsElliot Lake students lay crosses on graves

Elliot Lake students lay crosses on graves

An Elliot Lake school had its senior students visit a local cemetery to lay wreaths at the graves of deceased veterans and their families.

According to the release, the Grade 7/8 class of Our Lady of Fatima Catholic School travelled to Woodlands to assist the Royal Canadian Legion in laying crosses at the graves of deceased veterans and their families.

The school is hoping to have students take this on in coming years, as it becomes more difficult for veterans and Legion members to complete the task.

Following Remembrance Day, the Grade 6/7 class will travel to the cemetery to gather all the crosses.

- Advertisement -

Students were joined by School Liaison OPP Officer Phil Young, and AJ Bus Lines donated a bus to transport students to and from the cemetery. Foodland donated cupcakes and Tim Hortons donated hot chocolate for the students to enjoy upon their return to school.

Mr. Frolick, Grade 7/8 Teacher at Fatima School adds, “We were privileged and honoured to participate in helping the Legion to lay the memorial crosses. We look forward to helping in years to come and supporting the Legion in honouring veterans and their families from our local community. This experience is one the students will never forget and will help to make Remembrance Day even more meaningful and personal. We will remember them.”

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading