Health Science North’s Chief of Staff, Dr. John Fento says the hospital continues to be a safe place for people to go for urgent and emergency care following the admission of its first COVID-19 patient.

He reassures the public saying emergency is open 24-7 to provide care to the public.

Hospital President Dominic Giroux adds the patient a woman in her 50s presented to the hospital last Friday and is currently in isolation in stable condition.

It is believed she contracted the virus through community spread.

Thirteen positive cases of COVID-19 has been reported in the Public Health Sudbury & Districts jurisdiction, while the Algoma Health Unit is reporting five.

For additional information on changes and measures the hospital has introduced in recent weeks due to the COVID-19 pandemic, visit https://www.hsnsudbury.ca/covid-19

Waiting for the Surge

Premier Doug Ford is warning that a surge is coming in coronavirus cases in Ontario and it’s up to the public to decide whether we flatten the curve, or we go the way of Italy and Spain.

Those two countries are reporting more than 200-thousand infections and 20-thousand deaths so far.

Ford says, right now, there is very little separating Ontario from the devastation seen in those two countries.

The Premier adds maintaining physical distancing and proper hand washing are the keys to heading off a similar toll in our province.

Health officials report 426 new COVID-19 cases, the highest daily number to this point.

That brings the total number in Ontario to almost 24-hundred.

Health officials report 639 cases have been resolved, while 37people have died.

The death toll includes 14 residents and the spouse of a resident at the Pinecrest nursing home in Bobcaygeon, north of Peterborough.

The Haliburton, Kawartha, Pine Ridge District Health Unit says at least 24 staff members are also infected.

It’s the worst outbreak in the province.

Premier Ford adds a new list of essential businesses that are allowed to remain open should be issued in the next couple of days.

Deep concerns for Toronto

Toronto’s medical officer of health says the trajectory of coronavirus cases in the city is not favourable, and she’s deeply concerned.

The city has issued tougher guidelines to prevent the spread of the virus, and they could be in place for as long as 12 weeks.

All those who have tested positive for COVID-19, or have had close contact with someone who has, must stay at home for 14 days.

Everyone else in the city should remain at home except for essential journeys, including medical needs and grocery shopping once per week.

The virus on the ships

U-S President Donald Trump says Canadians aboard two cruise ships stranded off the coast of Florida will be repatriated home.

But just how that will happen is still up in the air.

Florida still hasn’t given permission for the two ships to dock in Port Lauderdale.

Four people have died and dozens of others are ill aboard the Zaandam.